Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Now I realised how extremely underpaid I was back in Hong Kong

Right, so I am in office now (thus pardon me using English here), practically with nothing to do (well I don't care as long as I have my payroll...different purpose of work when you are in Ireland not in Hong Kong), and coincidently I am doing the backend sales data management for this team at the moment and have quite a glimpse of their sales maths. Right, now the team I am working in have a rough target revenue of 6.24 million USD for Q4, and their income is completely based on commission from client, and assume average commission rate is 4%, that makes the profit generated by the team for this quarter 249600 USD.

So assume profit generated by the team for one year is 249600 x 4 = ~1 million USD. (This is a bigger assumption as Q4 is usually the biggest quarter)
Team has 6 sales reps, so by simple maths division, profit generated per person per year is 166K USD, which is equivalent to ~1.3 million HKD.

This is very close to the profit I made when I was working as a Sales back in Hong Kong, where I earned around 1.5 million HKD profit during the one and a half year I was there (one man band, and later two-man band for that market).

BUT......(if you hate maths you can just skip the previous and read this part)
- They have a much higher base income than me (I worked as an admin here and got similar income when I was in Hong Kong)
- They have commission
- When they reach the target they will reach the Stretch area where they will have very 'wor mei' bonus and much higher percentage of commission
- Cost of living is similar between Dublin and Hong Kong (sometimes I wondered Hong Kong is more expensive to live than Dublin or even UK!)
- This company is not one of the top/best employers in Ireland, in fact what their company benefits offered is also just the minimum requirement as the law requires.

SO THEN...this morning, I realised I was extremely UNDERPAID when I was in Hong Kong! DING!!
I wondered how many people in Hong Kong actually share the same or even worse situation? We are not treated with respect at work and we are enslaved because of our own human weaknesses (such as fearing of change, lack of self confidence etc.)

Not that I have this be a successful sales/biz person as my dream in my life, neither do I regret working in my previous company. Well in the contrary, I just realised my real ability and value, and only I myself can fight for my own future and now I have the confidence.

8 comments:

tusswu said...

其實呢個問題的過程只有三個部份:獨裁、剝削、奴性。
首先,香港從來沒有過完全民主制度,所有的政治與利益輸送扯上很大關係。而同時沒有制度制衡大商家向民眾進行剝削,令商家合法掠奪中肚滿腸肥之餘又納低稅,以致香港的堅尼系數那麼高。
然而,最奇怪是,為何在這個不公平的情況下,仍然沒有人反抗或革命?我最近聽過兩個看法都好有趣:1 其實現在市道愈來愈好,國家富強,我地都會好的,唔通好似以前或者非洲咁咩!
2 剝削唔係淨係香港有,全世界都係咁,所以你係外國月亮特別圓的盲目之流。
就是這些看法就令人不改變進而合理化行為和想法。這個時候我就想起 地獄莊園 的故事了。

You know who am I said...

Good! You eventually discover the real situation of fuck up HK! However, a large part of population in HK still not find out the truth, even regarding it as a normal thing...

I think that you should settle down in Ireland, if you can get a way. Don't come back!! HK is a fucking hell!! Life in the Mars is so excellent!!

You know who am I said...

Moreover, today (23 Nov) in Japan is Labour Thanksgiving Day (勤労感謝の日) which commemorates and gives one thanks to labours to contribute their efforts.

In Hong Kong, there is no similar date for the similar purpose. May 1 Labour Day in HK just a public holiday and loses its own value for labours' right...

tingzi said...

Lolo~ welcome to my world!!~

I only realized this when I was being "invited" politely to work overtime, and compensated fully with increased salary, dinner & taxi ticket... You will feel your personal time is being fully respected and you are given a choice to refuse OT... Employer is an employer, NOT Master!!

Ppl are just too afraid to stand up to injustice / enslavement at work, because your boss, colleagues & even your families will think that you are asking too much by quoting... "做野係咁 ga la"... when the same lie has been repeated for a thousand times, you will believe it is true.

Lolo, with your capability, you can definitely fight for what you deserve~!

rose said...

Tuss: this world is soooo bloody. That's my major feeling in these 2 months.
I know who you are: I have a vague idea who you are...but I am not sure. Well...I don't think I should settle down in Ireland, don't have the 'home' feeling to it yet. Although Hong Kong is getting more and more 'uninhabitable', maybe there's really no where in the world that I could fit in.
Tingzi: yeah!! no more enslavement at work!
(Oh but I wondered whether you can resist OT in your new post......)

said...

http://www.inmediahk.net/node/1004789

discussion on inmedia

feel gloomy ab future. With current over expanding capitalism without reflection or moral standard ( thanks to our "civil/brain washing education/atmosphere)

Maybe it's overgeneralization. But I think u know what i mean.

rose said...

Read your link just now, nearly cried. Since when had our society (or world) become so bloody?
I really felt, if you have a job in Ireland, even it's a part time, you can have a good time (although the Irish people is grumpy about the economic downturn), at least you have fresh air, nice landscape and relatively spacious living environment!
When the supermarket / clothe stores do discount, they really do discount and it's a brilliant deal. 2Euro for Salmon, 1.5 Euro for a pair of pretty shoes. So in a sense, even the poor people can enjoy shopping (if they want). But you see Hong Kong? Never seen some real 'sale' in recent years, all mark up to sky high and then 'discount', food in PK and Wellcome are just EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. What the hell is such a place?

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Lose Crawling Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Quickly Find HD Movies, Console Games, Music, Applications and Download Them at Electric Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup[/B][/URL]